Sunday, February 14, 2010

Here are a few questions to think about from today's sermon.


How can humans be children of God? What does that mean?

Why does Scripture call our bodies "lowly"? If we are created in God's image then how are we lowly?

What exactly does it look like for God to "transform" our bodies?

Where does a Christian find their identity?

Why is it so important that we make missions our ordering principle? What is the definition of "mission" for Christians?

Why does matter if believe we are "dead" without Jesus?

Was Jesus' death on the cross a cosmic victory or a means of personal salvation?

Why does the word "ontological" matter in this discussion?

Why does "double transference" matter?

If Christianity is not a self help system does that mean being a Christian doesn't help us?

1 comment:

Katie said...

Good questions, and way too much to respond to on here! But I just wanted to comment on your question about mission being our "ordering principle". I think this is HUGE in the Christian life, but I'm not sure we always live our day-to-day life as if we really have been sent on a mission.

What is our mission? I think about the verse Jerry pointed us to on Sunday, in John, where Jesus is praying and he says that just as God sent him into the world, Jesus sends us into the world. So I've been thinking, we have the same mission Jesus had. And since we obviously weren't meant to atone for the sin of the world, then what did Jesus mean? Besides dealing with our sin, it was also Jesus' mission to reveal who God is to people that didn't know Him. I think we have to be about that, in daily, practical ways. I hope as a group we can talk about how we are revealing God to the people in our lives. Any ideas?

I know for myself, I have never been so excited to join God on His mission. I know He wants us, as a small group, to be involved, every day, in the work of making disciples. That's the way we carry out the mission. Let's commit to learning how to do that together!